Sunday, February 17, 2013

The BEST Sticky Rolls EVER...Disappearing Rolls


This is a slight variation of the Christmas morning rolls we enjoyed as kids.  My mom called them 'disappearing rolls', because they are so good, they disappear!

Many call something like this monkey bread, but I just call it crazy good!

What you need:
  • 2 loaves of frozen bread dough
  • 10 T. butter, melted
  • 3/4 c. packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 c. honey
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 1 pkg cook and serve butterscotch pudding (don't make the rookie mistake of trying to substitute instant pudding)
  • 2 T. milk
 Pull 2 loaves of bread dough out of the freezer.  Allow to sit
at room temperature for one hour before cutting into chunks.

In a microwave safe bowl, place butter, honey, sea salt and brown
sugar.  Pop in microwave for 45 seconds.  Stir and continue to 
heat in 30 second intervals until all ingredients are melted and smooth.

This step can also be done in a saucepan...I just find that I am doing this
late at night, for the next morning, and need to speed the process up.

Bread dough cut into chunks and placed in a buttered 9x13 pan.
Allow butter/sugar mixture to cool out of microwave, then add
1 package of cook & serve butterscotch pudding and 2
 tablespoons milk.  Stir until smooth.

This is what the sauce should look like.  Dare you not to take a dip
with your finger.  Seriously, dare you!  

Pour the sauce over the bread dough, cover and place in the 
refrigerator over night. 

Obviously the dough is not going to proof in the refrigerator, over 
night...so unless you set your alarm for 3am to pull them out to 
proof on the counter follow my simple cheater trick for quick 
proofing these ridiculous rolls: pull them out of the refrigerator and
pop in a preheated oven at 170 degrees.  They will proof in no time
(30-45 minutes...depending on your altitude)

This is what they look like at 6000 feet (i.e. my home) after 45 minutes
at 170 degrees.  All ready for the real heat.  I just switch it up to 350 degrees, 
not worrying that the rolls sit in the oven while the temperature rises.

After 20 minutes of baking at 350 degrees, I noticed the tops 
were browning, quicker than I wanted, so I reused the piece
of aluminum foil that I covered them with in the refrigerator overnight
and popped on top, so they could keep baking, but not keep browning.

They cooked for 10 more minutes and were perfection!  

After 30 minutes bake time.  Run and knife or spatula around the
edges of the plan, and flip onto a serving platter (or a half sheet).

Ummm, what!!!  Are you trying to take a nibble of your 
computer screen, or what?  These will please any crowd!

If there are any left over (doubtful), cover and store at room
temperature. 

7 comments:

  1. I must say they were delicious this morning!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn, I love these things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazingly good. Been searching for a long time for a recipe with lots of caramel goodness. This is it! My daughters comment, "ooohh! This is buttery goodness! Perfect amount of caramel."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been making your rolls for 5 years now. They are requested at EVERY family holiday. This has become the dish I am expected to bring. As the family has grown, I now am required to make 2 pans, as 1 is never enough. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What can’t you use instant pudding? It’s all I can find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Carmel sauce won’t turn out as well! It will be gloppy!

      Delete
    2. You can substitute vanilla cook n serve pudding also!

      Delete