Wednesday, October 30, 2013

the very hungry caterpillar CUPCAKES!



My sweet Benny turned 1 (yes, over a month ago...I so do not have my act together!)
I let my sweet 4 year old, Logan, decide what we would make for his big celebration.
She instantly said she wanted to make him 'the caterpillar who eats pie and sausage...'

It was on.  

 I started by baking off vanilla cupcakes.  Make the caterpillar
as big as you want (you could gather a ton of mini cupcakes for the
body and use a standard cupcake for the head).  I used
standard cupcakes for the body and a large cupcake for the head.  
No rules.

Next whip up the frosting
It is super easy and SUPER tasty!

Then get out your food color.  

ROY G BIV.  I loved teaching Logan about primary and secondary
colors, while we mixed the color gel into the frosting.  

Doesn't this need to be on the Weather Channel.  Hurricane Frosting!

Frosting, ready to go.  You can do this days in
advance, if that is helpful.

Use a knife and randomly spread the green
frosting across the body of cupcakes.

We have all read the book and he is whimsy, so
keep it that way with your frosting.

Red face.

I pulled a little yellow and blue frosting in, around the edges,
to mimic the look of the caterpillar (this step is not necessary, but
I think it gives it an authentic look)

While I was trying to figure out what to use
for the antenna, my husband walked by eating
sour worms (this is not a joke) and they were
PERFECT!  I snagged two.  I smeared the 
yellow on for eyes.

I popped a bit of green in the microwave for
5 seconds, it was easier to apply to the yellow of
the eyes, when it was heated a bit.

Unfortunatley, we didn't have any pie or sausage to decorate
the cupcake with.  We made do with some fruit we had on hand.

 I made Benny a cupcake, just so he wouldn't be covered in coloring.

He looooved it!


No comments:

Post a Comment