Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Frito Chili Grilled Cheese

 

If your going to mess with Frito chili, you might as well shove it in a grilled cheese.  Right?  Well, the thought came to me, I went with it and... OH MY. 

What you need:
sliced bread
tomato slices
shredded cheese (any variety you have on hand)
Frito chips
chili 
hot sauce (optional, but quite important if you ask me!)

I made up a batch of chili, to try this out.  I eliminated a lot of the
liquid that is normally found in a bowl of chili.  I browned 1 lb. of 97% lean
ground beef with a large onion, diced.  Once cooked I added chili powder,
sweet paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, salt and pepper to taste. 
 Once I thought it was perfect I added a few T. ketchup.  Then hot sauce!

You could certainly make life even easier by subbing a package of chili
seasoning...then add the ketchup and hot sauce to taste.

On a hot skillet melt a bit of butter and start layering on the base bread.
 
You could also bake these sandwiches, which I would do if I was making 
multiples.  On a parchment lined baking sheet build the sandwiches,
spreading a bit of butter on the top piece of bread and bake at 
375 for 12-17 minutes.  Until the bread is golden and a bit crusty
and cheese is melted and gooey.

I mean...whaaaat!  This is for sure will change up your thoughts
on grilled cheese!  I think I will be baking a bunch of these up for a
football party ASAP!  

And as Cousin Eddie (National Lampoons Vacation) so eloquently put it:
I don't know why they call this stuff hamburger helper. It does just fine by itself, huh?
I like it better than tuna helper myself, don't you, Clark?

No comments:

Post a Comment