Saturday, March 9, 2013

Baby Food: Roasted Sweet Potato & Quinoa Puree


The adventures of baby food begin...


Peel and cube a large sweet potato into ~1/2 inch chunks.  Toss
with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and slow roast in a 350 degree heated
oven for 40-45 minutes.

Roasted sweet potato (a large sweet potato yielded 1 1/2 cups
roasted sweet potato) and 1 cup of prepared quinoa (cooked
according to package directions).

Two of my favorites, how bad can this be?  

 Pop in a food processor or blender.  I ended up adding 1 1/2 cups
of water, for the perfect puree.  Add the water in 1/2 cup increments
for the perfect consistency for your baby.

Roasted sweet potato & quinoa puree.

I bought 2 sets of lidded BPA-free trays (4 trays total) with my first, 
and just pulled them out of storage, as I begin baby food making 
for my newest (and final) little.

 One large sweet potato, 1 cup of prepared quinoa and 1 1/2 cups
of water yielded 21 serving portions.  I pop the trays in the freezer, and
one day later pop the portions out of the containers (running the bottoms 
of the covered trays under hot water, if they need a bit of loosening), 
and store in a freezer bag or covered container in the freezer 
(making certain to label and date).

I plan ahead for the next day, and pull out the portions I will need, 
to allow them to thaw in the refrigerator. 

 Benny says, 'get in my belly'...

Benny approved!  He was also eating a bit of pureed oatmeal with 
cinnamon and bananas that I portioned out and froze the other night,
so that explains the crazy mess of a bib!  



1 comment:

  1. Benny is beyond adorable, you should create your own baby food with his photo, like Baby Boom! His photo alone would see you tons! Recipes look delightful, little Sullivan and I will both enjoy trying these out for sure.

    ReplyDelete